Sunday 31 May 2009

so many things about Basingstoke



This blogspot is hopefully about things that might interest and support the global classroom and the world community we all belong to. However, we can't join that group without recognising and celebrating our local community.

Twitter has enabled many tourist offices to big up their towns. Basingstoke has joined in. @basingstoke.


One link to the destination basingstoke site lists "30 things you may not know about Basingstoke"

Among the gems someone feels will make us go weak at the knees?


Festival Place was featured by Jeremy Clarkson in BBC’s Top Gear TV show in November 2008. (damned by association?)

Basingstoke and Deane won a Silver Gilt Award at the South & South East's 'In Bloom' Awards 2007 and 2008.

The wikipedia entry makes more interesting reading



I live in Basingstoke and generally its a good place. Lots of facilities, especially for the young. Two multi-screens, a world class concert hall, theatres, ice rink and great sporting facilities.

But again if you are young the public transport system absolutely stinks. I use buses all the time in London, but here in B, expect the last bus to be long before I get back. And a bus on Sunday? Forget it.


AND - a complete lack of individual character. An enormous shopping centre, with the same shops you find in every UK town. Lots of chain restaurants and pubs, but no little places to eat that you would find all over London. Lots of people have asked me to recommend a good place to eat. Its easy to find easy food but no place that stands out as unique. Happy to hear about good places that aren't pubs with a menu.

The town is bland and and to me our Museum says a lot of what's wrong. Milestones was built with millions of public money but they charge £7.50 to get in. It is billed as "Hampshire’s living history museum" but it seems to have forgotten what century we are in. The sort of experience that has transformed the free museums in London has been completely forgotten. No interactivity or use of new technologies. A real disappointment, although the cafe's teacakes seem to go down well according to reviews on the site.

So I love Basingstoke, and intend to celebrate it on these pages, but the local council really seems to have missed the point in its "big up pages".

If you live here, work here or just passed by on the M3 one day in the summer, let me and the Council know what you would like for the place. Hopefully not another Festival Place.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Alan, I should mention that the Twitter account is not a council run intiative. I am also into promoting Basingstoke in a positive light, hence me finding links to link to.

    Lot's of overspill towns carry a similar stigma - my personal take is that Basingstoke is not half as bad as the generic public opinion, ensuring the town remains an easy target for You Tube comments, etc. and the town's been good to me personally, having lived there all my life... Perhaps I am biased?

    http://www.craigkillick.co.uk/blog/this-is-basingstoke/

    ReplyDelete

me (sort of...)

me (sort of...)